HOW TO PREVENT E-MAIL SPAM! Still, there are things that we can do to prevent it! So, cheer up!
HOW TO PREVENT E-MAIL SPAM
What is E-MAIL SPAM? It is unsolicited, unwanted or junk email or on-line communication. Some, spam are annoying but, very often harmless. It is commonly used to advertise or promote a product or service. E-MAIL SPAM is also used by Scammer's to lure people to their websites or download an attachment infected by a computer virus, spyware or adware.
What is Phishing Scam? It is also known as Identity theft spam. It is a kind of e-mail that is designed to get or steal information from end-user's like you. Scammer's use your e-mail or stolen e-mail addresses to spam other users to get money or information from them:
- They use a bogus e-mail address they created that looks the same from your Internet Service Provider customer care or other Social Networking Sites, asking you to "Re-enter your E-mail Address and Password", to avoid losing your account. Ex. firstname.lastname@example.org. Once, they have your e-mail address and password, they will be able to use your e-mail account to SPAM other users or use it to order a modem, router or new plans and services from your Internet Service Provider.
- If your computer is infected with a Spam Virus, they will be sending out e-mail's to the people on your address book. Begging your friends, relatives or anyone on your Address book to send you some money because, you are trapped in an island or your plane crashed and you're the only survivor, but, unfortunately, you lost your wallet and you don't have money to go home.
HOW DO SPAMMERS GET YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS?
1. Joining Mailing List -Spammer's join the mailing list. And, steal the Carbon Copy (CC) or Non-Blind Carbon Copy (Non-BCC) e-mail lists. CC or Non-BCC means e-mail addresses are visible. The Spammer can see and steal all of the e-mail addresses that the e-mail was sent to, and add it on their address books.
2. Chat Rooms -such as mIRC, YM Chat, AOL, MSN, Internet Service Provider chat and other Public Chat rooms. From each Chat rooms, Spammer can probably get from 1 up to tons of e-mail addresses by viewing your account profile. This would be a long and slow process, especially Spammer's are very lazy, they want an easy money. And, they will probably think of a much better process.
3. Internet or Social Networking Site Profiles -It is almost the same process as Chat Rooms, but this one is a lot slower. Your Internet Profiles require you to put in your contact details, including your e-mail address. Now, a spammer creates an account or profile with the Internet or Social Networking Site, and starts searching for their victims e-mail addresses. However, this will take them centuries. So, Spammer's gets a software or program that will do the job for them. A software, could easily collect thousands of e-mail's in an hour.
4. Blog Sites or Websites - Spammer's are very hungry to get as much as e-mail they can get. They can copy e-mails by going to Forums, Message Board or Contact me page of your Blog Site's or Websites. Another type of software or program designed to copy and gather e-mail can make this process quicker.
5. Spam Softwares -There are Spam programs that are actually "For Sale" on the Internet. This kind of program can trace, collect and store Non-Blind Carbon Copy e-mail addresses. This is the same type of program that could be use to get information from Mailing List, Chat Rooms, Internet or Social Networking Site profiles, Blog or Websites, and etc.
6. Spammer's know how to SELL -Yes, you are right! Spammer's do not just collect and use your e-mail to send you SPAM. But, they can also SELL your e-mail address together with thousands of e-mails they have collected to other Spammers. It means that It would be a nightmare for you, you will be flooded with another sets of SPAM each day.
7. Spam Viruses -Once you get this kind of Virus, it will go straight to your Address Book and it would start sending e-mails to your Friends, Relatives or anyone on your address book an e-mail Phishing scam; an e-mail with a URL of a website infected by a virus or an e-mail with a small attachment that could launch a Spam virus on their computer's victim.
HOW TO PREVENT EMAIL SPAM?
1. Utilize SPAM filter -This option is available If you are using a Web E-Mail or an E-mail Client software. E-mail's that contain the same type of size, words, attachment or e-mail address could go straight to your Junk, Bulk or Spam Folder, where you could just easily delete the whole content of the folder. This might not totally get rid of it, but, it will surely slow down the loads of e-mail going onto your Inbox Folder.
2. Block E-mail Addresses -This option will allow you to block a certain e-mail address, and all e-mail coming from that address will not be delivered to your mailbox. The only problem is, most Spammer's nowadays are pretty clever. They have a software or program that could automatically change their e-mail address to another; bogus or stolen e-mail account before sending you another SPAM. If that happens, the one that you have just added on your Blocked Addresses list would be useless, since, they will be able to send you another sets of SPAM from different e-mail addresses anytime they want.
3. Change the way you write your E-mail Address -If you have an account profile, blog or website, and you really need to put in your e-mail address on your Contact Me page, try changing the way you write your e-mail address. Try the following format:
- email@example.com ---> abc123 (at) isp101 (dot) net
- firstname.lastname@example.org ---> abc123 (at) isp101 (period) net
- Get Paintbrush or Photoshop, then write your email address: email@example.com, save it as .jpg or .bmp
This will help you hide your e-mail address from Spammer's who use bots, software or program designed to collect e-mail addresses on websites. Because, once they have it, your e-mail address will just rotate in the hands of different Spammers.
4. Use a Disposable Address -Create a Free or Disposable E-mail address that you will use to protect your main e-mail account. In this way, you could use your Free or Disposable e-mail address when you are joining Mailing List, Chat rooms, Blogs, Forums, Social Networking Sites, Websites and Etc. This will keep your main e-mail account SPAM Free.
5. Use Blind Carbon Copy or BCC on all E-Mail Transactions -This hides YOUR and YOUR friend's e-mail addresses from Spammers.
6. Use a strong Internet Security program with ANTI-SPAM -Using a reliable, dependable and strong Internet security will not just prevent viruses and hackers away, but also Spammers. There are SPAM VIRUSES that could send out e-mail to anyone on your Address book. Most, Internet Security software such as "KASPERSKY Internet Security 2011" comes with an ANTI-SPAM protection. There are also other, software and hardware ANTI-SPAM protection you could purchase on the Internet. Just GOOGLE it!
P.S. Get the latest updates from this blog, straight to your email! Subscribe NOW!